Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Tower 28 SOS Skin Spray smells like chlorine/bleach

Does anyone else feel like Tower 28 SOS Spray smells like chlorine/bleach?

I saw one reviewer say this and it totally does, but no one else is mentioning this.  Surely it can't just be two people????

SOS!

Re: Tower 28 SOS Skin Spray smells like chlorine/bleach

So funny because I was doing skincare and reading the board and came across your comment right after I sprayed my face with it and it actually does 

Really??🤨😁🎀

It really does give off a strong sent of chlorine/bleach.when I first got it I was confused on why it smelt so strong I got the biggest bottle

I thought it was just me 😭😭

Yes, I agree it does smell like bleach.

Hypochlorous Acid can have a slight "chlorine pool like scent" on its own or when combined with perspiration, oils, etc, @VIBSINCE2013. some of mine have smelled like that right away and some haven't. I wouldn't be surprised either way. If you don't like the scent, I wouldn't use, but it doesn't mean it's gone off or anything. 

Hi haleyvvvv. Thank you for your input.

It's curious that a company would make a product that 100% smells like chlorine.  I'm looking forward to speaking with the company directly to hear their explanation.

Stay well.

So, the hypochlorous acid undergoes a chemical reaction giving off chloroamines which can give off the "pool scent." This is completely normal! @VIBSINCE2013 . The active ingredient in this product is the hypochlorous acid. If you don't like the scent, I wouldn't use it. I'd rather a slight pool scent than an artificial fragrance personally. 

Thank you haleyvvvv.  I asked my 17 year old daughter to smell it and she immediately said "that smells like chlorine in a pool, I like that scent".  Guess one bottle is now being "donated", ha.  It's just helpful to hear what you all have to say to confirm that this is indeed the scent. Having never ordered this before, but loving all Tower28 products I've used, and hearing really good things from some of the skin "gurus" I watch on YouTube, I was really interested in getting this.  I'll give a shot, but my curiosity will make me try to speak with a rep at the company.  I will report back what I'm told, if I get a "live" person.

Enjoy your evening!

@VIBSINCE2013 

The only ingredient in the Tower 28 spray besides saline (water + salt) is hypochlorous acid. While it's not actually bleach, it is a close relative of chlorine, and catching a whiff of a bleachy-type scent is perfectly normal; to me, it was so faint, I couldn't smell it unless I stuck my nose right up to the open bottle, but my nose isn't all that strong, so it may vary for other folks.

Well ladies, I said that I was going to contact Tower 28 Beauty with my questions, and I did.  They were quick to respond, so Bravo to them!  'm pasting the response received this afternoon for anyone interested:

1. Is your facial spray indeed supposed to smell strongly like chlorine?

The smell of SOS is completely normal and natural. SOS is not the same as bleach, they are different chemical compounds - hypochlorous acid is HOCI and bleach is NaOCI. Hypochlorous acid is a weak acid whereas bleach has a super high pH and is very very alkaline (aka the complete opposite of your skin's natural pH and will cause irritation). Unlike bleach, hypochlorous acid occurs naturally in our white blood cells and is safe and gentle to use topically. It's even commonly used in eye cleansers!

2. If yes, why?

Furthermore, sodium chloride and electrolyzed water (the other 2 ingredients in SOS) actually mimic your body's natural fluids, which allows the hypochlorous acid to be its most stable and effective!

3. What ingredient is doing that?

There is 0.015% hypochlorous acid in our SOS daily rescue spray! This is SOS's hero ingredient and what causes the immune response in your skin. I like to say it smells like science because there are no added ingredients or fragrances.

4. Out of curiosity, what was the thinking of the founder when deciding to create something that clearly smells like chlorine/bleach.

Amy, our founder, has suffered from eczema her entire adult life. Hypochlorous acid was the only thing that provided her with instant and lasting relief! She wanted to spread the love for other suffering from inflammatory skin conditions and promote overall skin health for everyone!

Thanks for responding and your input.

There's sodium chloride in there as the second ingredient out of 3, so maybe that's what I'm smelling?

I ordered 2 bottles and they're exactly the same whether smelling the bottle or spraying it on my face.  

It's strong. I honestly feel, just from the scent, that I'm spraying chlorine on my face.  I'm going to contact Tower 28 and speak with a representative - enquiring minds want to know, ha.

Have a great day, and stay safe!

@VIBSINCE2013 

Sodium chloride is salt 😉

Hi RGbrown.  Yes, Sodium Chloride is compound commonly known as table salt, but when it comes to skincare/makeup, sodium chloride functions as a binder, oral care agent, gentle abrasive, thickener, and preservative in a variety of cosmetics and skincare products.

@VIBSINCE2013 

Yup, it has lots of uses, but my cryptic insinuation was meant to convey that salt doesn't smell like chlorine. Pure NaCl is in fact completely odorless. Sorry I was unclear with that!

Thanks RGbrown.  My best guess is that it's the hypochlorous acid that's giving off that scent.  My high school Science Teacher would advise you that my science background is questionable, so its total assumption on my part, ha.  I appreciate your input though!

Enjoy your day.

@VIBSINCE2013  I use Tower 28 Beauty SOS Save.Our.Skin Daily Rescue Facial Spray 4 oz/ 120 mL  and mine doesn’t smell like chlorine or bleach. Mine has more of a herby medical scent. 

I wonder if I got 2 bad batches?  The fact that yours had absolutely no hint of chlorine, tells me something.

Thank you for responding.

Stay well.

18 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 34 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing